Time went by so fast!
It’s been over 6 months since I first announced the public niche website project on Cloud Living Journey (February 17th).
Founded in January 2013, Cloud Living Journey is the place for me to document my journey, share my experience and help other people build their own online businesses.
With that being said, I thought it would be helpful to create my own case study as that was also the time I got started again with building niche websites.
And it turned out to be the best decision I have ever made this year. The case study got people’s attention and also got me featured on NichePursuits.com, Flippa.com, AuthorityWebsiteIncomes.com and many other blogs.
I also made a lot of new connections and friends who are also interested in online business and niche website building.
Okay, it’s time to wrap up this case study and introduce a new one.
Here are all the articles I’ve written for the Niche Website Project:
- Keyword Research: Why 95% of Marketers Are Doing Wrong?
- How to Discover Website Ideas That Make Money: The Ultimate Guide
- Online Business Idea 001: Build a Niche Website
- How I Built A Niche Site That Ranked #1 in Google and Made $93.32 in 38 days
- NWP Update 1: Learning from a First-timer’s Mistakes
- How To Set Up A Website The Right Way With WordPress
- How To Create Affordable and High Quality Content That Makes Money
- NWP Update 2: Making $1000+ in a Month
- I started 2 niche websites: 1 failure and 1 massive success.
- I invested $160 in the 1st site that failed.
- I invested around $800 in the 2nd site which eventually brought in $12,000+ profit.
- The 2nd site made $3,053.85 in 6 months (average $500/month)
- I sold that site for $10,000 on Flippa (check out the listing)
10 Lessons I Learned From The Project
1. Taking the first step is very important
I couldn’t remember how many times I stressed this out on CLJ. A lot of people emailed me with tons of questions, but when I asked them if they have started any site, the answers are always “NO”.
I appreciate your questions and I’d love to help everyone but you have to take action. Don’t just ask and do nothing. I already shared a lot on CLJ and you can find a lot more on here, here and here, but all the resources will be wasted if you don’t take the first step.
So stop reading and take action now!
2. Start small & scale up
Don’t expect your very first niche site will make thousands of dollars per month. Set a small goal of just $100 per site per month and scale up from there.
Don’t pick keywords with 5k, 10k, 20k searches at first. They are often too difficult for a beginner with little to no resource.
Just try to do your keyword research right, pick a very easy keyword with 1000-2000 searches, build a site and get it rank. The goal is to GET IT RANK and MAKE YOUR FIRST DOLLAR.
You’ll gain more experience along the way, after that, do whatever you want.
3. Choose the right keyword is the key to success
If you’re still chasing the “big money” keywords, read this article.
4. Make your site structure right and you’ll get it rank a lot easier
Site structure & Onpage SEO largely affect your ranking. Get it right first, then try to acquire links later.
5. Have at least 20 articles on each site
Google doesn’t prefer 5-page sites any longer. They can still rank well but the ranking won’t keep long. I tested that
6. Always keep your site fresh
Google also prefer constantly updated sites. You don’t have to add tons of new articles; Just 3-4 per month is fine.
The goal is to keep your site always fresh.
7. Be patient
Build links slowly and be patient. We all want fast ranking but it’s not a long-term strategy.
When it comes to SEO, slow and steady wins the race!
8. Invest in your own blog network as soon as possible (or find a good & reliable provider for high quality backlinks)
Link building is still important to get high ranking. However, if you choose the right keyword, you’ll only need a few high quality backlinks.
You’d be better of building your own blog network or find a good & reliable SEO service that produces result!
9. Think long-term
An online business is a business
You want to make money from it for years not months, right?
Taking the portfolio approach is a great strategy!
10. Never give up!
This is the element that differentiate winners from losers.
Winners never quit and quitters never win. – Vince Lombardi
Never quit and try your ass off to make shit happen!
Every successful person starts as a beginner, so don’t be afraid to try new things.
New Case Study Coming Up!
Now that my 1st niche website project is officially ended, hope you’ll find it useful! Leave a comment below if you have any question.
Cloud Living Journey is all about proven and tested online business ideas so there will be more case studies coming soon.
I’m still testing different ways to build niche websites, are you interested in one more public case study about niche website?
Or do you have any online business idea you want me to test?
If so, let me know by leaving a comment. I’ll try my best to read through and response to every comment as soon as possible.